Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Build A Page for Flying Unicorn

Hello! Today, I would like to share my Build-A-Page that I created using the Flying Unicorn August Kit of the Month.
So let's jump right in!
I first started out by doing a little paper tearing, layering Kaisercraft Secret Garden in "Forget-Me-Not" over "Wildflower" script side. I did this because I wanted some frilly layers on the top and bottom of my layout. I simply lined the straight edges up and glued them together. I tend to use Beacons 3-in-1 glue for this because it doesn't leave lumps in the paper.
 The photo below left shows how I layered them...also make sure that you don't glue down the torn edge, staying about 1/2 inch away from the torn edge so that the edges can be curled. Then you follow the line of the top paper's torn edge so that you have a border for the script paper.
This is what it should look like. It does not have to be perfect but just follow the flow of the edge.
Next, mist the edges of each patterned paper and let sit for a minute.
Once the paper is pliable, start curling back the edges of each layer to give the paper some frills.
Side Note: I always back my background paper with an extra piece of sturdy paper, cardstock, or cardboard for extra durability. I knew I would not be painting much, so paper worked fine on this occasion.
Once the background paper is stabilized, then you can add your layered frilly pieces to the top and bottom of the page. I used a sheet from the Bella Collection for the background paper. 
There were these cute little transparent printed doilies in the kit, which I cut in half.
Then I backed them with solid paper from the Mixed Passion kit so they wouldn't lose their design in the patterned background paper. I fussy cut them out to make cute little embellishments.
Next, I took some remnant pieces of paper about 2x12 inches, and rolled them up, gluing the edge to the tube. These will be used as a design element in the layout.

I also created tags with coordinating paper from the Mixed Passion kit. This is why I love the kits - all of the papers work together, even if they are from different collections.
Then I started playing around with my design. I love to work with lots of layers and details.
Lastly, I edged around the center collage with some Shimmerz Paint to give it a little more depth and dimension.
Thank you so much for letting me share my layout - I hope you can incorporate some of these fun techniques!
Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment