Thursday, November 19, 2015

"Evening Birds" Canvas for Flying Unicorn by Lainie Michel

Sometimes you can create magic! I fell in love with all of the elements of the November Kit of the Month from Flying Unicorn when I saw all the goodies inside! I instantly had an idea on how I would create this canvas using a ton of Flying Unicorn Metal Adornments and the Prima Shabby Chic Treasure Resin Birds from the Mixed Passion Kit .
I started out by using the Prima Stone Walkway Stencil provided in the Mixed Art Kit and laid down the backdrop for my canvas with the stencil and a heavy layer of 13 Arts Ayeeda Acrylic Gel Medium. After that dried, I applied all of the elements of my design and glued everything into place.
 
When everything was firmly adhered, I gave the whole works two thick coats of 13 Arts Ayeeda Black Gesso also from the Mixed Art Kit, making sure to cover all the nicks and crannies. I always like to turn my canvas upside down for the second coat just to see if there are any areas where white might still be showing through. The goal is to get everything seamlessly black. Then it was time to get busy with the color. I used Prima Color Blooms in Precious Stone, a silver-black spray to give the canvas a richly highlighted background base. Then I added Ayeeda Mist in Pastel Black, paying special attention to spray the dark around all of the raised elements to make them even more dimensional. Next, I applied Color Bloom in Summer Sky on the birds and Color Blooms Iris in specific areas where I thought it would produce the most contrast. I kept the background mostly dark to really bring the overall design to the foreground.
 When everything was dry, I used my finger to apply the gold highlights, using Ayeeda Gold Pearl Acrylic Paint (13 Arts makes the BEST paint!!!.) This technique really gives life to the organic elements on the canvas.

 Lastly, I added the finishing touch of Prima Art Ingredients Turquoise glass seed beads from the Main Kit in the flower pistils, which added more light and a bit of sparkle.

Don't forget to check out Flying Unicorns Pre-Order option!
 
Thank you so much for stopping by! I wish you a wonderful day!!!

2 comments:

  1. So THAT'S how you did it!! Really beautiful! I have had an 8-1/2 x 11 canvas for a coon's age and still have yet to make anything with it! Love looking at what other people create with canvases. One of these days...I will get with it! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I can't wait to see what you make Elizabeth! I think canvases are soooo fun - sometimes creating them just takes you to another place. Please let me know when you finish yours!!! Thank you so much for taking time to comment here! Hugs!

      Delete