Sunday, October 25, 2015

Build A Page for Flying Unicorn

Hello everybody, I am still on my high from Uni-Camp which ended last weekend. It had been mentioned that no one knew if or what I accomplished at camp (heehee) and it is true that I did not get much done because of all the wonderful conversations and classes and life-long friendships being made; however, I did manage to eek out a few projects and this layout was one of them. I used the remainder of my October kit, which happened to coordinate perfectly to this older photo of my son I have wanted to use for quite some time.
 I wasn't really able to get a complete step by step photographed, but I thought I would break down my method into 3 main steps. The first step is usually some kind of mixed media background. For this layout I used Ayeeda Black Gesso and a Tim Holtz Burlap Stencil. Once dried, I added Loew Cornell Watercolors (from the Mixed Media Kit) in rusty browns that were from the Mixed Art Kit. I try to get a concept of a layout in my head and work out my tentative design so that I know where to add gesso and paint behind the design. Even though it looks somewhat hideous at first, I knew that after adding all the elements and pulling it all together, the layout would eventually be fun and interesting.
I always try to do something unusual on a layout if I can, and in the kit some really fun Net Ribbon trim was included. I decided to glue it in an undulating ribbon strip for a home-made embellishment. I ended up loving the natural fiber look (almost like hay) on the layout.
 The second step is figuring out the layers and placement of the photo and the last step is gluing everything down and adding extra details like extra gesso or paint if wanted. The papers, elements and tags were from the October Main Kit 7 Dots Studios Lost and Found, and they perfectly suited the feeling I was trying to attain.
 I loved the Petaloo Flora Doodle Leaves and Darjeeling Flowers. They added such a natural touch to the layout. (Can you spot a bit of Jennifer's raffia on the tag?)
 One last thing worth mentioning. For my layouts, I always try for lots of dimension - I am not a flat scrapper, by any means. I like the shadows and the depth of popping up items so that the eye can travel over and around the layout.
 Thank you so much for taking a peek and don't forget about the gorgeous November Kit coming up very soon!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment